Saturday, September 13, 2008

Back To Mom



Today I decided to follow a writing prompt from Jen at Absolutely Bananas. Her prompt asked What are you doing just for you? When I read the prompt, I chuckled, thinking of how I had made a promise to myself on THIS post to do the very same thing.

So actually, I'm finally doing something for me. I signed up for a class that starts in about two weeks. A class that at first I was very excited about, but now I'm getting REALLY nervous about. Yes, this gal, who is continually teased by her husband's family for having no rhythm, who can barely walk without tripping, is taking a BELLY DANCING class! Last month, when the community college course catalog came in, I perused it. Decided it was a good idea to sign up for a class. I thought about yoga, about painting, even a computer graphics course. But I kept paging back to the belly dancing class. So I figured, what the hell, I'm gonna do it. I'm really getting nervous, though. It dawned on me today that during the first class I might actually be expected to bare my belly. I guess I hadn't thought about that. In reality, this neglected, two pregnancy body needs at least 40 4 classes to be ready for the world to see. Then I thought, oh no! What if it's a bunch of late teen/early twentysomethings taking the class? I mean, who else wants to learn to belly dance? I guess I'll find out.

Then I started getting excited. Time for me! All alone! I won't even be spending it doing kid related activities. I mean with the MOM's club's night outs, I spend it with other Mom's talking about our kids. That's really the only time I get out. This is time to be the real me. Not the Mom me.

Maybe I'll indulge my fetish for lying to strangers (hmmm... haven't I told you about that yet? That's a whole other post) Maybe I'll tell them I'm single. An artist living in a loft in Bethlehem. I spend my time sculpting and throwing wild parties. Yes, I'm a struggling artist that pays her rent by working as a barista in some coffee shop. I'm way too intelligent for that job, but I just can't tolerate the idea of a real job. I mean how uninspiring. And I spend my summers traveling Europe, staying in the homes of other artists, drinking wine and eating nothing but olives and cheese.

Oh, crap, my entire wardrobe has been purchased from Target and Kohls. Somehow I think that will give away the truth. Hmmmm......

I said it was time to be the real me. I guess that's who I'll have to be. Jen, the klutzy, wacky, over caffeinated, Mom of two. That will just have to do.

9 comments:

disney05 said...

You are crazy.

maggie said...

I think that's really awesome. I've always wanted to do the same and just haven't. I bet there will be all sizes, shapes and types in your class, too. Have fun!

Jen said...

First time here, over from Absolutely Bananas. I may just have to start lying to strangers. That sounds like fun! Good luck with your class!

Jenny Henny said...

thanks for stopping by! Yes, try it :)

Honey Mommy said...

Awesome!

Belly dancing sounds like fun. I am sure my hubby would probably encourage me to take a class like that!

AGSoccerMom said...

I have a friend that belly dances too. She loves it. Um so does her husband. Over caffienated mom of two totally descibes me. Now I am picturing you all amped up belly dancing, sort of like the energizer bunny. Wait that was me I pictured. LOL. Thanks for visiting.

geekymummy said...

sounds like a blast, enjoy!
I also had my 2 kids with no drugs. I'm a bit of a 'natural childbirth' pusher. I don't think most people realize how wonderful it can be,

Unknown said...

What's wrong with being over-caffeinated?! Caffeine is the sweet nectar of life. I for one cannot function without.
Over-caffeinated...pishaw. No such thing.

Bananas said...

Ok I am SO gonna need to see pictures.
You go girl!